Teens Changing Gaston County (TCGC) is a board made up of teens helping fund other teen-led service projects in the community. TCGC is participating in it’s 13th year! A partnership between the Community Foundation and the YMCA has established the teen board, consisting of 9th-12th grade students in Gaston County.
TCGC: a student run philanthropy program that meets once per month during the school year to learn about the grant making process, network with nonprofit professionals and socialize with other teens from around the County. After learning the process of grants and their impact, the Teen Board is able to judge applications from fellow peers regarding service projects. The teens award a total of $5,000 to various projects in the County.
What does TCGC do?
- Learn about philanthropy
- Reach out to other youth in the community to encourage them to plan a project and apply for money to carry it out
- Review the proposed project ideas from youth-led groups
- Make decisions as a group about which projects will receive money.
- Follow up with and give support to the youth led groups that were funded.
- Gain important leadership experience and job skills.
- Meet and work with other teens in Gaston County.
Printable Information and Application available – Click here
Ages: 9th-12th grades
Application Process: May 1st – July 15th (or prior if board is filled) at the YMCA front desk or email a completed application and essay.
- Please submit your application to the Community Foundation of Gaston County.
- By Mail: P.O. Box 123, Gastonia, NC 28053
- Office: 1201 E. Garrison Blvd., Gastonia, NC 28054
Season or Schedule: School Year, September 2018 – May 2019
Meetings: 3rd Tuesday per month 5PM-6PM
Contact Des’Tri Martin with questions at email@example.com or 704.822.9622.