Red Cross Lifeguarding
Upon successful completion, students will receive an American Red Cross Lifeguard certification which includes lifeguard skills, first aid, CPR for the professional rescuer, and Automated External Defibrillator (AED) training. The certification is good for two years from the completion date.
- Online coursework due prior to the first day of class for all blended learning courses.
- Mandatory swim test includes:
- 300-yard swim (front crawl or breaststroke)
- 20 yards swim to retrieve and return a 10-pound brick
- Tread water with feet only for 2 minutes
- Attendance is mandatory at all session dates.
- Participants must be 15 years old by the date of the last class.
- Stowe Family YMCA – 196 YMCA Drive, Belmont
Feb 19-20 Stowe Family YMCA
April 16-17 Stowe Family YMCA
- Warlick Family YMCA – 2221 Robinwood Road, Gastonia
- March 19-20 Warlick Family YMCA
May 14-15 Warlick Family YMCA
Interested in working the Y?
We are always looking for dedicated staff members! In fact we train new staff at our expense with our training agreement. Contact Candace Hyde for more information if you are interested in lifeguarding at the YMCA by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 704.830.9622 today!
YMCA Members: $192.00
Program Participants: $249.00
Red Cross Lifeguarding Recertification
Recertification is available for Lifeguards whose certification expired less than 6 months prior to the course.
Program Participants: $155.00
Lifeguard Certification Class + COVID-19
Here’s what you can expect when you come to class:
- Participants are asked to wear their swimsuit to the pool and will be assigned a swim prep stall on the pool deck to prepare for class.
- Low touch options for both training and testing available. Please speak to the Director for additional information or with questions.
- Participants will have their temperature checked at the beginning of each class
- Social distancing and masks will be enforced throughout class when not training on specific skill sets
- Participants will be assigned groups of two throughout class
- Each participant will train on a personal mannequin
- Participants will step on a sanitizing mat and/or dunk shoes in sanitizing solution upon entering pool.
- Swim prep stations will be spaced out to ensure social distancing.
- Upon exit, any used shared equipment will be placed in the “to be cleaned” area.
- Lockers are not available at this time