Protect Your Health
The Y’s Blood Pressure Self-Monitoring Program teaches participants how to measure and track their blood pressure, eat healthier, and avoid high blood pressure triggers.
The program responds to a critical need in the community: High blood pressure affects 75 million Americans. The condition can lead to increased risk of heart disease and stroke – two leading causes of death in the US, and it is known as a “silent killer” because there typically are no warning signs or symptoms.
About the Program
The four-month Y program is based on research that shows that the simple process of checking and recording blood pressure at least twice a month over four months may lower blood pressure. And, proper nutrition, particularly a reduction in sodium, can help lower diastolic and systolic blood pressure.
Program participants learn how to properly self-monitor their blood pressure using a cuff. They also get:
- Two personalized consultations per month
- Monthly nutrition education seminars on eating healthy, shopping and cooking, stopping hypertension, and reducing sodium
- Personalized support from trained Healthy Heart Ambassadors
- Ongoing encouragement through weekly emails, calls, and text messages
The program is designed to help participants meet specific goals:
- Reduced blood pressure
- Improved blood pressure management
- Increased awareness of triggers that spike blood pressure
- Enhanced knowledge of healthy eating habits
The Gaston County Family YMCA joins 65 Ys across the country in presenting the program, which is a component of the Million Hearts® 2022 Campaign launched by the US Department of Health and Human Services.
To qualify for the program, participants must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be diagnosed with high blood pressure
- Not have atrial fibrillation or other arrhythmias
- Not be at risk for lymphedema
- $169 Y Members
- $199 Program Participant
- Fee includes blood pressure cuff
- Financial Assistance available
Upcoming Program dates and events:
Blood Pressure Self-Monitoring Office Hours
Trained Healthy Heart Ambassador (appointments recommended and available in person or virtually on the following days):
Stowe Family YMCA – 196 YMCA Drive Belmont
- Monday 10:00 am – 12:00pm
- Wednesday 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm
- Friday 11:00 am- 1:00 pm
Warlick Family YMCA – 2221 Robinwood Road Gastonia
- Monday 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm
- Tuesday 8:00 am – 10:00 am
- Thursday 12:00 pm – 2:00 pm
NUTRITION: Virtual Monthly Seminars
- Nutrition Education Seminars are scheduled monthly on the 3rd Tuesday at 7:00 pm. A ZOOM link will be sent to all participants.
Contact Richard Hamilton at email@example.com today with questions.